Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tech in all I do

As any good geek can tell you that it is a moral imperative that we use technology in everything we do. Not just any old technology, but the latest and newest technology.

Case in point: my water bottle.

I used to drink from regular plastic water bottles, but the more I thought about not only the chemicals that the plastic could be leeching into the water that I was drinking but also the environmental impact of those bottles, I began looking for alternatives.

Sigg bottles in Whole FoodsImage by Jeffery Simpson via Flickr

Not wanting to lose one plastic bottle for another, I began researching metal bottles. Most metal bottles sold are either stainless steel or aluminum. Both are much safer for humans to drink from, and somehow don't give the liquids inside a plastic-y taste. I eventually settled on a bottle by Sigg in Switzerland.

It was more expensive than other bottles, but it seemed to have the best construction, shape/design, and it appeared to be more high-tech.

Now, I know what you're thinking here: how could a bottle appear to be more high-tech?

Well, it seems that the design of the cap was made with luggability in mind. It is a loop which allows attaching to a backpack or any other bag using a carabiner. I just happen to have a few carabiners, so I put a few of them onto my lunch bag and onto my netbook bag so that I can attach my water bottle anytime I want now. Also, the inside of the bottle is treated so that there is no bare aluminum inside to make contact with the liquid. What is the treatement? It looks somewhat ceramic.

Best of all, it's super-light and drinking from it is actually comfortable. Yeah, I said comfortable. I don't know how to explain it, but after drinking from plastic bottles with their small openings for so long, drinking from this Sigg bottle is just "comfortable."

I could go on and on about the other high-tech items I use in daily life instead of the old low-tech stuff and how I've been a champion of technology my entire life, and I've been accused (properly) of being a gadget geek (guilty as charged). I'll save those for the future. I'm sure it'll come up again. And again.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment