Wednesday, August 3, 2011

News Aggregators, et al

Again, more evidence toward proving my guilt as the worst kind of geek: I don't use a news reader, aggregator, or anything that takes posts from blogs I read and puts them all in one place.

Why? I feel that the people who write and design the blogs do so with the visitor or reader in mind. The colors they choose, the layout they designed are all part of the experience of visiting their site. There are some really beautiful sites out there, and there are some really crappy ones too, but I tend to not visit the crappy ones. Why? Crappy design. Duh.

Some argue that it's all about the content. If it's news about the debt ceiling, Egyptian revolution, or protesters being shot in Syria, then I agree. But when it's about cell phones, operating systems, gadgets, radio controlled airplanes, or cars, then I think that the visuals are just as important. "But Edge, there are readers that bring in the post photos as well." Yes, that's true, but somehow, they never quite do it as well as the presentation on the websites themselves.

I have an Android tablet (the Viewsonic gTablet for those of you who are interested) that I use quite a bit (more often than I would have ever expected, btw). I have Pulse installed, and while I used it quite a bit when I first got the tablet, I find myself just reading the usual sites in the web browser more often than not. That's not to say I don't use Pulse; if there were a single site aggregator that I would use if I were forced to only use an aggregator, then it would be Pulse. However, such is not the case, and I continue to use my browser.

Would I consider an aggregator on the PC in the future? Perhaps, but the one I would use daily and even before I would consider going to the site itself for the content hasn't been developed yet.

Some would say this makes me some kind of late-adopter or someone who is against change, because surely reading sites via an aggregator is superior. To those, I would reply that I vehemently disagree, and that we all have choices in how we consume our literary content. We also have our personal preferences, and mine is to visit the site for the content and experience it the way the writer/developer intended for me to do so in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment